Monday, November 15, 2010

The North Carolina Year Book, 1902

Somehow or another, even if it was just for a few minutes, I hit all four places that were having book sales last week. Woo-hoo!

I stopped by Pages Past, the antiquarian book store in Greensboro, on Wednesday. I had been drooling over an early 20th-century business directory that I wrote about in an earlier post. It was too expensive, but with the annual sale going on, I dropped in before another appointment, hoping the book was still there.

It was! I grabbed it and went to the counter, since I didn't have time to browse that day. I saw the flyer for the church sale as I waited to make the purchase.

The North Carolina Year Book, 1902, published by The News and Observer in Raleigh, N.C., lists all the elected officials, business owners, doctors, teachers and ministers - by county - in the state that year.

The statewide lists in the front of the book even include leaders in the Confederate Veterans' organization, the Masons, agriculture, "The Improved Order of Red Men" and the Prohibition movement. The advertisements are interesting, too.

I've been skimming Guilford and Randolph counties and seeing some familiar names. I will post the information for Trinity and Archdale, N.C.

No comments: