Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tombstone Tuesday — Memorial Day 2015

I've seen photos of the tombstone, but I always wanted to visit my great-great-grandfather's grave in person.

Something about my research this past weekend, combined with everybody talking about the meaning of Memorial Day, gave me a wild hair to drive out to Moore County and pay my respects.

By myself, 50 miles each way. Not even a library or courthouse open to make the trip "worthwhile." Oh, and I had family plans in the afternoon. Just find the cemetery and come right back.

All their lives, my grandfather and uncle got excited whenever they heard the name Maness. In Moore County, though, you can't throw a rock without hitting a Maness. Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church cemetery looked like a field of Manesses.


I finally found Thomas Swain Maness' grave (thanks to the person who posted a photo on Find-A-Grave with a view of the larger stones near it).

I'd brought a special flag: the Confederate version of the POW/MIA flag. During the long drive I thought about Thomas, who lied about his age to get into the army at 12 or 13 years old. After three years of hellish battles, he lied, deserted, did everything he could to get out.

Instead of letting him take the Oath of Allegiance, the Union kept him in prison camps at Point Lookout, Md. and Elmira, N.Y. for the next year. He eventually returned, married at about 17, and led a very full — and somewhat disturbed — life.

I wanted to bring an American flag, too, but this was a last-minute jaunt and I didn't have one. Thankfully, some kind-hearted soul had placed flags at all of the veteran graves in the cemetery. Thomas was both.


Sadly, they missed his brother Shadrach, even though his stone reads "KIA." He really did sacrifice everything and, in his case, for a friend. Shadrach went into the army as a substitute for Quimby Wallace (who had a wife and children), and never came home.





At least Shadrach's grave is next to a kinsman, Reuben Maness. Reuben was a chaplain in the army. He was also killed.

Maybe I'll bring an extra flag or two next year.









_ _ _


After all these years ... Thomas, meet your great-great-granddaughter. 

As the little flag says: "You shall not be forgotten."


_ _ _



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice blog and great pictures. I will be seeing next entries.
Everyone is invited to see my blog entries at this address

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth. Loved reading your blog entry and seeing your family pictures about Thomas Swain Maness. For the last few year I have been working on my family tree and just this weekend learned of Thomas. I am still researching my ancestry connections which as you know seem to be a bit confusing when it comes to him. I believe that he is my 3x Great Grandfather. His first wife (Mary Crayton) is where my family comes into the picture. When I was researching his records I came across your research of family heritage through another marriage. I would love to speak to you if at all possible. My middle daughter wants to be a writer and is in college majoring in English. My son does Civil War reenactments and has in the last year joined the 26th NC Co. D. As you know from your research that that is just so crazy considering Thomas and many of his relatives were all in the 26th NC. Again it would be really great to get to speak with you. Have a blessed day.

Elizabeth Saunders said...

Hi, Mary. Thomas is so fascinating. I would love to get in touch with you. My e-mail is ebeth2000 AT earthlink DOT net.