Saturday, December 29, 2012

'Another closing year draws nigh' — To set goals or 'Just Hang in There'?

I'm a planner. I like to have goals. But this year was... well, rough. I only succeeded with one of my three goals for 2012. That one was awesome! I found my mysterious great-great-grandfather, through the grace of God and stubborn persistence.

Sometimes things feel out of control, especially when they involve other people, or the economy, or health. I'm inspired by this 1878 journal entry wherein a young man reflects on his rough year. He concludes that we learn valuable lessons, and that "all things work together for good for those who love God...." Rom. 8:28
Another closing year draws nigh…” « Past is Present
pastispresent.org12/28/12
It is often hard to find diaries written by young men and boys. So today I'd like to highlight a great diary kept by a young man, Thomas Whitaker, of Waltham, Massachusetts. Thomas began recording daily entries in 1874, when ...
I didn't finish my novel because of low motivation and high distractions, including running the bookshop and an obsession with blogging. While building an author platform is important, actually finishing the book to sell should take precedence. Cindy R. Wilson of The Writers Alley is following God's leading to set some of the "small stuff" aside and focus on what's important.
God's Christmas Blessings in Unconventional Packages
thewritersalleys.blogspot.com12/28/12
I can't believe it's already a new year! Like many of you, I'm very excited about the great blessings God gave me last year and I'm looking forward to everything He has for me this year. Our lovely Alley Cats have been posting ...
Literary agent Rachelle Gardner goes deeper to discover what's behind the goals we make. Often the underlying motive is to be a better person, to do better than last year.
Approaching the New Year
http://www.booksandsuch.biz  12/27/12
Every year at this time I blog about New Year’s Resolutions – whether to do them, how to do them, and my thoughts on how to ...
I'm excited about 2013. I know the coming year will be better! However, with big changes (including cuts) in my part-time jobs during the next two months, I feel like things are too beyond my control to set any big plans. I know Who's in charge, though, and I need to hand things over to Him.

North Carolina Yearly Meeting (my denomination's state-wide organization) is calling for 21 days of fasting and prayer (a downloadable pdf guide is on the right side of their page) to start in mid-January. Now, for somebody who's marginally hypoglycemic, fasting is not my favourite thing. I'm still pondering the no-food part. Yet it's a great opportunity to set aside some time with God, with encouragement from other participants. At the very least, I'm going to give up some internet time. When I traveled to Mexico earlier this month, I went completely unplugged for a long weekend. I came back with more focus (brainpower) than I've had in a long time.

Meanwhile, my short-term goals involve writing and maintenance. Writing, as in plugging away at my historical, genealogy-based novel, and maybe throwing in some nonfiction work to boost my sense of accomplishment. Maintenance, as in calling repairmen and setting doctor's appointments. And calling friends I haven't talked to in a while. Being a better steward of the blessings I have.

How about you? Are you setting goals for 2013?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not so much setting goals as setting hopes. I'm hoping for a new job. I'm hoping for some more success in my writing life. I'm hoping for new things. I prefer setting myself up for hopes rather than risking with resolutions. I consider my hopes "subtle goals"--it's all things I want (and need) to achieve with the room to accept that if it doesn't happen it's still okay :)

Elizabeth Saunders said...

I like that, Khara. I hear a lot of friends say they hope this year will be better than last year. That's my hope, and for you, too.