Thursday, August 07, 2014

Rocky Mountain Book and Paper Fair

The Rocky Mountain Book & Paper Fair wrapped up last weekend in Denver, Colorado. I made a side trip on my way to Colorado Springs because I've never been to an antiquarian book fair, and there aren't any in North Carolina or my neighboring states. 

A press


It was fun. It was overwhelming. 


I browsed through every booth, but only a few drew me in to look at particular books. Trying to remember lessons about not buying a book that won't turn a profit, I didn't buy any. I was tempted, though, by a quite reasonable set of signed Tony Hillermans. I looked in awe at signed firsts and their amazing prices. 
Type and images to go in the press




I looked through one seller's collection of cruise ship ephemera with a particular customer in mind, but he didn't have the particular ship. 


Sally Burdon gave an interesting talk about bookselling from an Australian perspective. As a second-generation bookseller, she has seen many changes in her shop and the business. 





After getting up at 3 am Eastern time for my flight, I was exhausted before the fair closed. But I made it all the way around the room and enjoyed looking. 

No comments: