Friday, November 05, 2010

People think I'm on vacation...

I hope my genealogy/history followers will forgive me for straying into the technical world for a few days. I did plan to stop in South Carolina to do some research in the USC rare manuscripts room, but they're closed on weekends and I'm going to have to postpone that. It's been a few years since I worked in the scientific and technical world, and I've had an exciting time around all this cutting edge technology, surrounded by space buffs.

As I sent in articles and talked to people back home about the many NASA briefings I attended, they kept telling me to relax, and enjoy my vacation. Vacation? Well, I am enjoying it, but I came down here to cover the shuttle launch and that's been nicely busy. I didn't have the budget nor inclination to go to DisneyWorld this time, and I didn't bring appropriate clothes (in November) for the beach, although I did enjoy walking on the beach and I stuck my toes in the Atlantic.

During my big vacation in Ireland last year, I went to libraries and collections and researched every chance I got. That's why I went. I still enjoyed it, and took lots of pictures. Am I too intense?

I guess the line between work and play is so smudged that other people don't even see it.

Isn't that how it should be?

(POSTSCRIPT, written Nov. 6) Actually, I did get to relax between briefings and stories. My sore shoulder got a break from working at a desk, although backing up the car frequently was difficult (you just can't back right-handed). Best of all, my brain got a rest from my recent busy schedule and to-do lists. I could sit there in the camper, or on the beach some days, or even in the press room, and just let my mind wander.
Funny how, to rest your body, you slow down your movements. But when you rest your mind, it speeds up and seems to run faster.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I do understand, I really do. It's like when I went to Las Vegas last year -- I most certainly was NOT on vacation! I was in too much pain to have much fun, even if I did eventually visit the Hoover Dam.

Elizabeth Saunders said...

Thanks, Robyn. It must be that vicarious thing - we wanted to picture you gambling and sightseeing, even though we knew you were recuperating.